GPO/WEP bill sponsorships climb
The number of cosponsors on legislation (H.R. 147) to repeal the Government Pension Offset and Windfall Elimination Provision continues to climb, with a new total of 203 bipartisan cosponsors!
All members of the Massachusetts delegation are cosponsors of H.R. 147.
Action for Members
- Log onto www.nea.org/lac/socsec and join the more than 21,000 people who have signed the petition to protect Social Security. You can also listen to an audio clip by NEA President Reg Weaver about NEA's opposition to privatization.
- E-mail your Representatives in Congress and ask them to:
- Oppose any efforts to privatize Social Security;
- Ensure that public employees who are enrolled in and have paid into other retirement security plans are not mandated to participate in Social Security;
- Repeal unfair offsets -- the Government Pension Offset and Windfall Elimination Provision -- that deny earned Social Security benefits to many public employees.