Stoughton's 15-month contract battle featured in the newest MTA Today
Andrea Pires, former president of the Stoughton Teachers Association, stands with fellow STA members who fought alongside her during a contentious 15-month battle to preserve the association’s salary schedule — a bedrock of collective bargaining agreements. The group’s organizing, legal and political strategies have resulted in a better and more fair contract. Also in this edition, you’ll find an interview with new MTA President Barbara Madeloni and Vice President Janet Anderson, who are setting an ambitious agenda for the association.
In this Issue:
- New leaders say activism is crucial
- Editorial: Fighting for our vision of public education
- Teacher of the Year goes all out for students
- ‘Smartest man in baseball’ makes pitch for reading
- MTA contest is a perennial hit with students
- Outcome of Stoughton contract fight proves value of unity
- Test resistance grows across U.S.
- Member-led forums offer chance to ‘aim high’
- MCCC takes action to ensure fair agreement
- Just for New Teachers Conference is set for December 5
- Summer Conference energizes members
- Save the dates for the 2014 EMAC Conference
- Move to lift charter cap is defeated
- MTA call to action echoes across international borders
- United effort fends off privatization attempt
- HCR honorees share commitment to enriching lives
- A call to focus on ‘educating the whole child’
- Presidents: Hold teachers, students harmless on PARCC exams
- MTA takes Level 5 fight to court
- Monument pays tribute to fallen educators
- Plan your travel with the MTA Vacation Center
- Regional retirement consultations available
- ‘You’re already leading,’ Obama tells graduates
- Foundation Budget Commission to be revived
This issue of MTA Today includes the 2014 MTA Primary Election Guide, featuring MTA-recommended candidates for attorney general, lieutenant governor and the 5th and 6th District seats in Congress, as well as recommended state Senate and House candidates.
View our latest issue
2014 Summer Conference
The five-day 2014 Summer Conference provided energizing workshops, social activities and opportunities for union-building in a stunning Berkshires setting. With a seemingly endless array of activities, the conference featured messages of solidarity and commitment during the Opening Session, dozens of professional development workshops and the premiere of a film about the life and work of the MTA’s own Kathleen Roberts.
Click here to watch a video of the Opening Session, and here to read about the Summer Conference and here for photos of summer conference on Flickr.com.
MTA Today App
Click one of the links below to download the official MTA Today app for your smartphone or mobile device.