Special Education Task Force
Created by the 2021 Annual Meeting of Delegates
The 2021 delegates approved the following statements.
That the MTA to create a Task Force on Special Education to look at the feasibility of creating an organizing initiative and potential legislation around the following topics:
- Gather information about the staffing patterns of special education teachers, working conditions and the size of their caseloads.
- Research Child Find.
- Investigate inequalities along disability, racial, ethnic and socioeconomic lines.
- Develop a toolkit for local associations to use in bargaining for professionally certified special education staff.
- Create and distribute a toolkit for parents/guardians to clarify the special education process and their parental rights.
- Create a toolkit for parents/guardians to be able to locate professional support(s) such as an advocate.
- Foster collaboration and coalition work between SpEdPac and the MTA.
Co-Chairs: Sarah Bol and Stephanie Ponte
Contact: MTAGovernance with questions regarding this task force.